It is the mission of American University to respond to an emergency situation in a safe, effective, and timely manner. University personnel and equipment will be utilized to accomplish the following:
- Protect lives and reduce chances of injury or death
- Protect university assets and minimize loss of data
- Maintain public image and reputation
- Minimize the critical decisions to be made in a time of crisis
- Restore general campus operations
To accomplish this, we aim to provide community members with the information and resources to respond to crsis or emergency situations. Each academic, office space, and collaborative work area on-campus is equipped with emergency information to assist community members in an emergency.
Community members wishing for an extended version of this document may visit the online Emergency Procedures Guide here.
An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in harming or attempting to harm people in a confined and populated area. Here are the basics of the “Run, Hide, Fight” program created by the Department of Homeland Security to provide community members with the actions to follow in an active shooter situation.